Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Deep

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

I continue to read the Bible nearly every day; I’ll begin the book of Jeremiah tonight. So far I’ve found several books and passages that grip my heart so I’ve dog-eared those pages to find them more easily when I want to come back to that place. I’m still not much of a memory verse expert but at least I can say “somewhere in the Bible is says something like….” Right now my new favorite verse (and no, I’m not trying to memorize it) is Hebrews 13:20-21:

“May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever and ever.”

What I tend to remember more readily are the proverbs or aphorisms I find as I read the work of Christian writers. For example, and unfortunately I don’t have a reference, I saw this recently:

The only thing a person can contribute to their own salvation is the sin that makes it necessary.

Now that’s worth remembering; that’s deep.

Speaking of deep, I have a number of flesh wounds. Cameron wanted to go to the airsoft battlefield, an indoor airgun range where participants really shoot at each other with plastic BBs). I wish I’d known to wear thick clothing. I entered wearing only a t-shirt and became an immediate target of the more experienced shooters. I counted 14 quarter sized bruises on my back, arms and chest. Whomever named the toys airsoft was flat out lying!

Next weekend Cameron and I are spending time together in somewhat less dangerous activities. It will be the Compassion in Action weekend, a time when a number of churches in the metro area work together to mobilize their members on service projects. Working as a roving reporter, I’m visiting ten such projects and dragging the kid along. It really pleases me that he enjoys doing the volunteer work with me. I suppose that makes it worth taking a few direct hits on the battlefield.

I interviewed three more ministries (a homeless shelter, shelter for child victims of sexual abuse, and a faith-based substance abuse program) last week so will have some really touching God stories to tell you in the coming days.

If you have the chance, I STRONGLY recommend making time to see the movie “Lord, Save Us From Your Followers.” It is promoted this way: “If you were to meet ten average Americans on the street, nine of them would say they believe in God. So why is the Gospel of Love dividing America? Dan Merchant decided to find the reason why. He talked with scores of men and women all across the nation and he interviewed many well-known activists in today’s Culture Wars. Lord, Save Us From Your Followers is a fast-paced, humorously touching, thought provoking and highly engaging documentary that explores the head-on collision of faith and culture in America.”

I shed tears during this movie. It asks the difficult but necessary questions many Believers either won’t address or haven’t even pondered. See it and be moved.

OK, enough for now. Gotta do my discipleship homework before our men’s group meeting tonight.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: