Thursday, September 03, 2009

My Interpretation

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

Whew – even though school has been in session for a few weeks now we are still trying to adjust. Linley has to be on campus an hour earlier this year and Jill has begun her graduate studies in the evenings. Add to that our discipleship meetings (and the neighborhood congregation we are launching in ten days), lacrosse practice, my volunteer responsibilities, and more. Most evenings end with Jill and I sprawled out on the sofa, breathless. No wonder my writing for this blog has slipped.

But the good news is the books are coming along fine and should be released next spring season, everyone is healthy, Cameron is doing well in school so far this year, Linley has made loads of new friends at school and Meagan is getting along swell with her two new roomies. She even got a pet – a Beta fish she’s named Harold.

I’m halfway through Proverbs and enjoying the read. I confessed to a fellow the other day that I see myself in most verses, doing the wrong thing of course, and I’m finding the reading a good exercise in self-examination and correction. As always, but now with more fervor, I pray for wisdom every day.

Proverbs 20:9 and 10 in particular speak so clearly to me right now: “Who can say, ‘I have kept my heart pure; I am clean and without sin’? Differing weights and differing measures, the Lord detests them both.” In my interpretation that means don’t hold others to a higher standard than you hold yourself, and don’t look down upon the sinners because by gosh you are one too. Not sure if they are meant to be taken together, but it works for me.

One thing I love about our church is its focus on reminding you that God never promised us a rose garden. Life is going to have its pains and problems. Shouldn’t it? Stop and think about it – if our earthly lives were perfect, what would be our inspiration for seeking our way to Heaven. There, and only there, is where perfection can be found.

This message from our bulletin: Prepare to expect bumps and disappointments. Prepare to know that others will have bad times too. Prepare to look for comfort that can only come from Him, and prepare to be a comforter to others for His namesake. To do that you must call on Him. Only He can prepare the way.

I’ve learned that only God can restore us, and just as Jesus restored us to God’s favor, we are called to be agents of restoration, to do deeds of mercy and speak words of grace, all in His name.

OK, on to other things before the rain sets in…

Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: