Tuesday, October 27, 2009

More Details

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

I want to share this email I received a few days ago:

“My wife and I were in the process of recycling books for our two and four year old and we came across your book, Why I Chose You. We both acknowledged the power of the pictures and quotes and how the book helped us through some rough times during their adoption processes. Both of our children were victims of poor pre-natal care before we adopted them.

Our youngest child also suffered from his mother’s drug abuse. We did not become aware of his mothers drug use until the morning we were called to go pick up the two day old child.

We were given the opportunity to back out of the adoption, but thankfully we didn't. I remember sitting in the family room as my wife was on the phone relaying our news to the pediatrician. I looked down to the coffee table only to find your book. I didn't even have to pick it up and a tear came to my eye, remembering some of the quotes, knowing we needed to bring this little infant home no matter what the consequences would be. My wife agreed and we picked him up just a few hours later.

I'm happy to say that today was his six month appointment and he is a very happy and healthy little fellow.

I just wanted to thank you for writing this book. In the beginning we felt isolated and rejected by people not understanding why we were parenting children of another race, but we always came back to the book for comfort. Lately, within the last year or so, we have seen more mixed race families than ever before. We like to believe your book may have had something to do with that.”

I love such mail. In the past I accepted it as evidence of my writing and storytelling skills. Today I readily accept it as evidence that God is doing His work through me. I rather like my new perspective. What better work is there than the good word of the Lord?

On a related note, a brief story: I know someone who knows someone who knows someone else who knows yet someone else. We’ve crossed paths in a random, disconnected fashion over the last year, never having reason to say anything more than hello to one another while passing in the proverbial hallway. But one day a “chance remark” resulted in a cascade of events that may (too soon to tell but why doubt the providence of God) result in a little boy being adopted and thus rescued from a really bad situation. I also received this email the other day:

“Thanks for letting us know about XXX. I was just reading in Acts this morning how ‘he determines the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. For in him we live and move and have our being (Acts 17:26-28).’

It is such a huge encouragement to me to know that in this crazy, mixed up world God is intricately involved in placing us just where we should be so that we will seek Him. May this precious little boy seek Him and find Him and walk with Him all the days of his life.”

So you see, as Paul Young said to a crowd of people last week when he shared his story of a thread woven between a number of lives during a fifty-plus year span, “God is in the details.” Indeed He is!

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: