Monday, October 12, 2009

News flashes

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

Good golly, where does the time go? I’ve been so busy with freelance assignments (Thank you God for your provision) and ministry activities I haven’t had time to write for this blog, let alone for my own writing projects. For the moment, then, little snippets are going to have to do as far as updates go:

My first distinctively Christian book was rejected by the publisher I sent it to; they said it was too much like another title they are releasing this fall. That’s actually good news – it means my idea has merit but I was simply too late getting it to this particular publisher for it to be considered. I’m encouraged and will move on to another publisher. Where once I prayed for a book to be published, now I just confess that I’d like it to be so but then submit to God’s will on that matter. Either way, I’ve gotten something out of the writing exercise.

Last weekend Cameron and I worked in the Compassion in Action (CIA) events for seven hours. I enjoyed meeting all the people who until then I had only spoken with on the phone. It was nice to meet the good folks, as well as it felt good doing the good work. What Cameron enjoyed most was operating the freight elevator at the co-op. He’s such a boy. Today for lunch (it’s a school holiday) he ate a basket of cheese fries, garlic toast and chicken wings. I had a salad (not so sure he’s getting the picture).

The surprise event of the CIA weekend for me was when I interviewed two twelve year old girls who spearheaded a fundraiser to raise money to acquire a playground set for an apartment complex in a poor section of town. They went door to door in their neighborhood asking to wash cars. They raised $100; they needed $1800. Soon word spread of what they were trying to do, and out of the blue the church contributed the remaining balance. It took the girls and about five men six hours to erect the playground. The kids at the apartment complex were so excited they couldn’t wait: they rode the slide propped on a ladder until it was properly installed. I’ll have the story of this act of compassion written soon and posted to share with you.

Yesterday our pastor said God permits us to endure experiences of hardship and pressure. Coincidentally, I woke up at 3AM this morning to find that a chunk of the ceiling had come loose in the den and the rain was leaking onto the rug and hardwood floor. I’m not sure what the connection is between Good, bad shingles and the endurance of hardships, but I will say that where once I would have been enraged by the damage resulting from poor craftsmanship, this time I was grateful it wasn’t worse. I’m still trying to pray rather than curse the man who built this house, though.

A friend and I have been praying that he be given a new job. He’s been unemployed a while now and is really beginning to feel the pressure of reduced income. Not long ago we waxed philosophical about how one knows if and when God answers prayers. The other day as we were having coffee his phone rang. As I sat there and watched he received a job offer! I love God’s timing!

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: