Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What a difference 9.5 months makes...

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

If you’ve had the occasion to read this blog you might know that early in the year I confessed to a high degree of public prayer anxiety. I kept my head hung low, arrived to meetings late, hid in the corners, even faked seizures and visual hallucinations to ward off anyone asking me to say a prayer.

But slowly my anxiety began to fade and I started to tip-toe into the water, beginning with saying a prayer at a church board meeting (being a member of a church board is a story in itself) that began with “God please forgive me if I mess this up.”

As time went by I prayed out loud in front of others more and more often, sometimes without the benefit of advance warning and at home preparation. I found the exercise easier and easier, and increasingly satisfying.

So it is against that background that I tell you as soon as I finish this post I’m turning to a little homework. I’ve been asked to lead a devotional for a group of thirty people this evening. To my surprise, I’m looking forward to it.

I plan to read two passages, Isaiah 55:9 and John 8:31, and use them to weave a parable about pursuing God’s will even if we may not know what it is or recognize it when it materializes, and to do this because He has promised that if we abide in His word we will come to know the Truth. I want to know the Truth; I don’t know about you, but I’m convinced that His Truth is far superior to mine.

So if you happen to be reading this today, please say a little prayer for me and ask God to guide me as I deliver the devotional. Thanks a bunch, and bless you!

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

I'm reading this Wed morning...so I'm offering a prayer of thanks. I'm thankful for what I'm sure was a wonderful and blessed time together last evening. I'm thankful for the growth you're enjoying. I'm thankful for you and your joy in sharing your journey. I'm thankful for all of the lives you touch in your walk of service and faith. Lord bless...