Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Catching Up

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

I’m feeling pretty bad that my writing for this blog has fallen to the wayside. I assure you, it is not a reflection of my waning commitment to learning the Word this year, but rather it is because I’ve been walking the Word so much I’ve had little time to write.

I have so enjoyed the hours each week I spend in service, including the time spent with the Stephen Ministry, Youth Mentoring Ministry (Cameron’s doing great), Men’s Discipleship, the food drives for Children’s Restoration Network, our Neighborhood Congregation, writing for Kingdom Investments and Community Outreach, not to mention the times spent with each ministry that I interview for the other blog … it goes on and on.

But somehow God makes time in my day and I manage to do the above, read the Bible, work on my real job, and attend to all the stuff Jill (and honestly, Linley and Meagan too (now when do young adults stop asking parents to do things for them)) keeps adding to my list. Funny how, except for the occasional unexpected and unbudgeted my house is a money pit reminder of that fact, I’ve found more joy in my life as I’ve done less for me and more for others. It really works that way, and it ain’t karma either.

I am excited about a new task, well two tasks actually, I’m taking on. First, I’m becoming a member of the Executive Board with Community Outreach which will oversee our grant process. More than a year ago I had such an interest in non-profits and fundraising for same, and now I’m given an opportunity to learn even more about the financial aspects of both. I still think there is a development role for me somewhere in my future.

Second, I’m volunteering to coordinate the inmate pen-pal ministry at our church. There is a fellow I interviewed for a story back in the summer who visits the jail every Thursday (and has so for the last nine years) to lead a Bible class. He said back then he had been praying for volunteers to write letters to the inmates, but until now none have stepped forward. This has been pressing on me for a while now, so I finally raised my hand. We have our first planning meeting today, and I’ve already rallied a dozen people to sit down with me one afternoon to sign those Christmas cards I mentioned a few days ago. Please pray for our efforts in launching this ministry, asking God to bless the volunteers and embolden them to teach a little of the Gospel to the prisoners in each letter.

Bible reading update: I hope to finish Ezekiel today. Man, I am so ready for the good news of the Gospel I’m often tempted to skip the remaining books of the Old Testament and jump into the New, but I plod along one page at a time.

Publication update: Hopefully you’ve noticed the new book covers on the right margin. These books will be out in the early spring and I’m excited for them. These books have been on my mind for several years but I’ve not been able to convince a publisher to do them until now. What’s unique about them is that they are in direct response to fan requests; I got the initial idea from you!

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: