Wednesday, November 04, 2009

New Releases and more

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

First of all, please notice the cover designs of my two new books which will be available in early 2010. Originally titled My Daughter, My Heart and My Son, My Heart, these books have been on my mind for at least three years. I’m so glad to see them finally come to life! Thank you Sourcebooks!

Now on to other things…

A few nights ago the men’s group I’m in decided to go off the church grounds to hold our meeting. For some reason we ended up in a sports bar overcrowded with Monday night wannabe warriors, all cheering for either New Orleans or the Falcons. We must have been a sight, five guys encircling beer and hot wings, our heads bowed as we prayed. Who knows who watched us and how long he thought about it afterwards? Or what impact we might have had on observers as we talking about God while in the midst of all that debauchery? God knows…

Similarly, I meet a friend for our weekly breakfast at a NY deli yesterday morning. We always begin and end out time together in prayer. Yesterday as we talked I overheard a conversation at a nearby table – two men also talking about God. So again I wonder what people think as they see men in public with their heads bowed in prayer? But I wonder only because I’m curious, not because I’m concerned.

You see, I’m no longer embarrassed about expressing my faith in public (oh how foolish I once was). In fact, I love the moments when someone could rightly point to me and exclaim, “Look, a Christian!” Yes, I am!

I have a question for you. OK, several questions. In my men’s group we’ve challenged each other to ask tough questions about the scripture to stir us into deeper study of the Word. Here’s what I asked:

What happens when we die? Does the body and spirit of all lie in the grave until Jesus returns, or do Believers' spirits go to Heaven at the time of death? What is the purpose of the time of Judgment if deceased Christians are already in Heaven? Do people who are alive at the time of Judgment die before going to Heaven or do they ascend? Do non-Christians' spirits go null and void or literally go to Hell? When, at death or at Judgment?

If you have thoughts on this topic, please share.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey greg i enjoy your witticisms..when i first came to Marietta in 1994,i sought a church with a rep for single activities.I wound up at Singles U...Peachtree Presbyterian...the meal and classes were great...contemporary and then I went with the Sunday school class to a few buckhead bars on fri nights. Now being a good ol lizella boy,my spidey sense was going off sayin "this aint right"..cuz some of the members would get hammered...i mean hammered...i like the tolerance of the new church..so to speak...but somewhere inside do you feel we've fashioned church around our lifestyles?..i think extremism on either side is wrong..the teetotaling preacher that wd holler at you for an hour..then go outside and talk about minorities,jews,etc...whatdo you think?