Thursday, November 12, 2009

Storms

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

One of the great things I got out of Sunday’s service was the reassurance God does not arbitrarily mess with our lives just to see what happens. Rather, he places obstacles in our path to help us see where our faith is; he shapes the events of our lives in order to help us shape our faith and character. Now that makes a whole lot of sense to me. It made me think: If the reward for failing to acknowledge Christ is death, what sense does it make that our Creator would leave our life or death decision to chance?

The teacher used the story of Jesus and the disciples in the boat during the storm (Mark 4: 35-41) to illustrate his point. He really changed the way I think about what I find while reading the Bible. Not a word is incidental or inconsequential.

For example, it was Jesus who said “Let us go across (the water) to the other side.” Did Jesus, Son of God, not realize a storm was brewing? Or did he intentionally put himself and his men in the path of a storm? Read: he places obstacles in our path to help us see where our faith is.

In the midst of the storm the disciples awoke Jesus and said “Do you not care about us?”, to which Jesus, after he stilled the waters, responded “Have you still no faith?”

In other words, “After all I’ve done for you and provided for you, after all the miracles you’ve seen, do you still doubt me?” We do, in our weakness and fear, begin to doubt our Lord when we think he is not in the moment with us, when we are enduring a painful loss, challenge or hardship. But when we remember the cross we must also remember the pain and suffering He endured for us so that we might live. That’s just how much faith He had in us. At the very least we should show Him the same courtesy.

Do the storms of your life cause you to think that Jesus doesn’t care about you? If so, be assured that no matter what storm you are in, you are still in the hands of God.

On another note, a few friends and I have agreed to become a letter writing ministry to benefit the inmates at the Gwinnett Detention Center. It houses 2400 prisoners. That’s a lotta letters. We’re going to begin with 60 inmates, but I reason why limit ourselves. Who knows what good may come if each inmate received a birthday card. Please pray for our efforts and ask God to send us a growing body of volunteers so that we may reach as many, if not all, of these prisoners. They are, after all, ranked among the least and the lost.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: