Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Request for Help

If you've been reading this blog this year, you know that I am the mentor of a 12 year old fatherless boy. His mom, Delaine, is in need of a lung transplant. I, along with others from my church, are helping her to raise money for her operation. This is her story:

Hello, my name is Delaine Thomason and I am a single mother of a twelve year old boy named Cameron. A non-smoker, I suffer from Sarcoidosis, a disease that results in severe scarring of the lung tissues. Comedian Bernie Mac passed away after succumbing to this same illness.

Sarcoidosis is an immune systems disorder that affects tens of thousands of Americans. Symptoms include a persistent cough, shortness of breath, fatigue, and arthritis, according to the Mayo Clinic.

Most cases of Sarcoidosis are mild, but severe cases can result in scarring of the lungs, a complication that occurs in about one-fourth of Sarcoidosis patients. For those patients, Sarcoidosis is a progressive disease that typically leads to lung failure. Unfortunately, I am one of those patients.

It is not clear what causes Sarcoidosis, but experts believe environmental contaminants can help trigger a genetic susceptibility to the disease. Sarcoidosis cannot be cured. That is why I am in the need of a lung transplant, and your help.

Although my insurance will pay a large portion of the cost of the transplant, it will not cover the annual cost of the immunosuppressant drugs that I will have to take for the rest of my life. The first year after the transplant is the most expensive; thereafter I will be weaned from the high dosages of the medications. The first year cost for the medications is $10,000. With the help of the Georgia Transplant Foundation, I need only raise half that amount of money.

However, due to the disabling nature of Sarcoidosis, I have not worked in six years; my resources are very limited.

Please consider a donation to help me in my battle with this disease.

If you are a Facebook user you can learn more about Delaine and her situation by visiting my Profile page and clicking the Fundraising Project" Perimeter Church link next to the woman wearing the red sweater and oxygen tube. From there you can also donate if you are so moved. I hope that you are.

For those without Facebook:
http://apps.facebook.com/causes/418481

No comments: