Monday, December 07, 2009

Zachariah

This is an account of my efforts to put into action what I learn while reading the Bible, an account of my journey to become closer to God.

It’s shaping up to be a busy day so this post will be brief; I have a lot of catching up to do. A lot of catching up to do because I have been secretly focused on an activity for ten weeks that, until this past Saturday, left me with little time to do much else.

So what secret?

Back in September I was pondering what to do with the rest of my life. Sure, I’ll continue writing as long as I can get published, but that is likely to come to an end one day and being a self-employed author does not leave one with an awesome pension. So I began to look at new career opportunities, trying to find something that would pay reasonably well, be emotionally and intellectually fulfilling, missional in its purpose, and timeless, i.e., something I could do until the end of my days providing I don’t start drooling and wetting my pants before then.

As I pondered, I opened an email from World Relief, an organization Jill and I support financially and one that is close to my heart. It relocates to America political and religious refugees from around the world. In the email was a request for a lawyer familiar with immigration law to offer volunteer services to the case managers trying to help families coming to Atlanta.

As I read the email I remembered God’s call for us to help the fatherless, widows, aliens and poor.

I could check off the fatherless, widows and poor, but realized I was doing nothing for aliens.

It bothered me, so I applied to law school.

Saturday I took the LSAT, the four hour, six part entrance exam. I hadn’t taken a standardized test since the GRE way back in 1981, hence the ten weeks I spent cramming, preparing, pulling my hair out and questioning my plan as I tried to retrain my brain to think on a level of logic and reasoning that I haven’t approached in many years.

I left the exam believing I performed well, at least well enough to be in the acceptable percentile ranks required for admission.

Today, as I sat reading Zachariah 7:10 (almost finished with the Old Testament!) I came to this passage: Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the poor.

So there you have it – two signs, one coming at the beginning of my question about what to do next, and the other at the end of my studious effort to tackle what I hope to be the answer to that question.

I think I’ve made the right decision.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and please pray for me and my family. Now go out and hug somebody!

2 comments:

Ginny said...

I am overwhelmed...and inspired. Words? I have none...

MNG said...

This is a strange but uplifting coincidence. We gave my dad a copy of your book for Christmas, and he really liked it. He found your blog and pointed us to it. I myself am an immigration lawyer, and was drawn to the profession for reasons quite similar to yours. Kudos to you for making this choice at this time in your life. If you ever want law school/law profession advice from a stranger, hit me up! A career in immigration will likely be harder - but more fulfilling - than you expect.