Friday, January 22, 2010

It seems it was only yesterday when I last wrote for this blog yet it has been two weeks. Either time is flying by in 2010 or my mind, like my body, is in rapid decline and I can no longer estimate the passage of time. Let’s hope it’s the former.

Let’s see, what have I done in the interval? Well, I spent a week in FL attending a Stephen Ministry conference. While there I had great conversations with folks from many denominations; it was refreshing to be with people of kindred hearts even if our theologies diverge a bit. I’m ok with that. I have no interest in deciding whose Christianity is the right Christianity because, while important, I don’t think the intellectual aspects of believing are the be-all and end-all of the whole experience. I may be na├»ve but I believe what resides in my serving heart accounts for more than the well informed words that may come from my mouth. If I’m wrong, I pray Grace will save me.

Upon returning home I launched into Truths We Confess (about the Westminster Confession and the Catechisms), the required reading of the theology class I’m taking. Man oh man, it seems the more I strive to understand the more I discover how little I understand. Maybe my consternation is because I was raised a Baptist but eventually worshiped in a Wesleyan church and now a Presbyterian church. And then there’s the great Calvin vs. Arminius debate raging in my head over the issue of predestination (the elect). At times I’ve leaned toward wanting to know and understand without a shadow of doubt or reservation, and other times I’ve wanted to forget the whole conversation and simply love the Lord and serve Him. But the comfortable spot I’ve arrived at (or is it “at which I have arrived”?) is somewhere in the middle – to strive to understand and not be shaken when I can’t, and be comforted in my dependence on God to forgive me for what my imperfect mind cannot comprehend.

What else? Linley turned sixteen and is now driving (prayers please), I’m simultaneously working on four books, still spending quality time with Cameron, digging even deeper into a few ministry roles at the church, and have restarted my fitness regime. Ugh, six days a week in the gym ain’t the recreation it used to be. No word yet on being accepted into law school, so still waiting patiently on that front.

Oh, and the good news I received today: one of my books is going to be illustrated and reissued as a children’s book! Very cool!

Gotta run. Blessings!

P.S. Decided not to change the name of the blog because I realized I will continue to Live the Word even if I won't write about it on a daily basis. Hope you're cool with that.

No comments: