Thursday, January 07, 2010

Mortality Schmortality

I don’t know about you but my new year is already off to a racing start. I continue to be involved in the Men’s Discipleship Group (an awesome experience), the ministries I participate in, and I’m about to leave for a week to attend the Stephen Ministry Leadership conference, only to return in time to begin the 12 week class we call TFL or Theological Foundations for Leaders. My assignment is to read none other than all three volumes of “Truths We Confess,” a detailed examination of the Westminster Confession of Faith. What was I thinkin’…

Add to that the book I’m attempting to write, not to mention the novel I’m attempting to revise, all while keeping my fingers crossed that I get into law school. I took the entrance exam, didn’t do as well as I’d hoped (hey, I haven’t taken a standardized test since 1980), but am encouraged by word that the college likes “non-traditional” students, i.e., old guys like me with many miles under my feet. If I get word I’ve been accepted I’ll need to finish the two manuscripts by August as I’m sure not to have much spare time as a first year law student.

I didn’t finish reading the Bible in 2009 as I’d hoped, but I did get to Romans, and because one of the books I’m writing is a Christian book, I’m referring to the New Testament daily so I’m still reading the Bible, albeit in a “skipping around” fashion. I don’t think God will mind, do you?

So to recap my year of Living the Word – actually, I’m not going to do that. One thing I’m really attempting to be better about is to not draw attention to my volunteer work. I do it to bring glory to God, not praise to me; therefore I really shouldn’t be saying much lest it be confused with boasting about my deeds. Can’t have that, no indeed not.

In fact, for that very reason I’ve decided to retire the concept of Living the Word. I’ll continue in all the ministry work, even take on a few new roles with the church, but I’m going to do it under the radar rather than attempt to document the details of each activity. That’s not to say that I won’t write an inspirational post from time to time, but when I do so it will be for the merit of the story itself, not to shine a light on me. I didn’t mean for it (the Living the Word posts) to be that way but over time it began to seem that way. I hope you understand.

So what will I be writing about? I am turning 50 this year; I’m closer to the end of my life than its beginning. It’s a good milestone; a time to pause and reflect on mortality and its related ponderables. And yes, that will include reflections on my relationship with God. So in 2010 I’ll write, when I’m moved to do so (you see, I’m also working hard to overcome that “performance” curse), about my thoughts and observations as I enter the next phase of living and dying. Nothing morbid, sometimes funny, and hopefully, often thought provoking.

For example, I’m large framed but not chunky. I work out regularly (so far every day this week) and walk nearly 6 miles a day. Yet in spite of a relatively high level of physical activity and a great diet, my body is succumbing to age. My eye lids are beginning to droop. I have a waddle under my chin, a soft layer above my belt, and my butt is a lot bigger than it used to be. To make matters worse, I observed yesterday that my boobs jiggle when I brush my teeth. I simply ain't what I used to be.

And yet my younger, much more attractive wife continues to smile when she sees me and embraces me when I reach for her. It is a wonderful thing to realize that true love is indeed timeless and unconditional.

And finally, this year I’m changing the name of the blog (it’s an annual ritual) to Mortality, Schmortality. Hope to see you here again soon!

No comments: